Re: OT: To CC or not to CC?

Christoph Groth <christoph@grothesque.org> writes:

> Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
>
> > your message went through, I simply decide to ignore you for a while
> > because you CCed me on a mailing list that I subscribe :P
>
> But how can I know that you, or someone else, is subscribed?

When a message is sent to a forum (e.g. a mailing list), there's no need
to know whether the person who sent it is subscribed. That's their
business, and if they want to receive replies they should either
subscribe to the forum or arrange some other way to receive replies from
that forum.

> I believe that instead of asking oneself this question each time when
> replying to some message on some mailing list, CCing the author by
> default is the only reasonable policy.

I disagree, it is more reasonable to think that someone sending a
message to a forum can arrange by themselves to receive message from
that forum — and if they do not say otherwise, they do not want public
replies duplicated to them privately.

> People who are annoyed by receiving the same message twice can quite
> easily configure any good MUA to hide messages that also go to lists
> that they read anyway.

Some of us have not informed our MUA about the forum at all because we
don't subscribe to the forum via email. If we haven't asked explicitly
for public replies to be duplicated to our individual email address, it
would be rude to unilaterally send messages there without good reason.

--
 \      “Science embraces facts and debates opinion; religion embraces |
  `\    opinion and debates the facts.” —Tom Heehler, _The Well-Spoken |