Installing python modules in a non-standard way

Hi. I asked this in IRC channel but didn't get a clear answer.

I have a library package written in C and it's also providing
python wrappers.

You can see the package in here:
https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/collab-maint/gumbo-parser.git/

I can't use --buildsystem=pybuild to install python wrappers,
this package is not providing a configure script or Makefile. pybuild
is not invoking autoreconf to generate a configure script. I have
to build C library manually if I use pybuild buildsystem
for this package.

I've been using $(py3versions -rv debian/control) in
override_dh_auto_install to install python3 package. But since
python3-all became depended on python3.4 and python3.5,
py3versions started to return two python versions and my override
is no longer working.

I decided to use $(py3versions -d) but I am not sure this is good
idea. It's skipping X-Python3-Version defined in d/control.

Piotr suggested me to make a loop to install python3.4 and python3.5
versions of package. But is it really necessary?

I am wondering what is proper way to install python modules in this
package?