Re: Python Policy

"IOhannes m zmölnig (Debian/GNU)" <umlaeute@debian.org> writes:

> thanks a lot for preparing all this.
>
> On 10/20/2015 10:53 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> > +DPMT requires upstream tarballs; releases cannot be made from upstream git
> > +repositories directly.  This is because PyPI contains upstream tarballs, and
> > +tarballs are what we upload to the Debian archive.
>
> i find the justification a bit weird: "no releases can be made from
> upstream git because some upstreams use tarballs"?

Yes, that is weird, and it's not what you quoted. I don't know how you
get that meaning from the text you quoted:

    This is because PyPI contains upstream tarballs, and tarballs are
    what we upload to the Debian archive.

> in any case, i don't think that there is actually a need for the
> policy to justify the decision to require tarballs (let's put that in
> the wiki for those interested).

On the contrary, I think the Policy document should document the
rationale for contingent decisions like this. When it is inevitably
discussed again in the future, it is always better to know the intent of
the authors.

--
 \          “Our products just aren't engineered for security.” —Brian |
  `\             Valentine, senior vice-president of Microsoft Windows |