How to convert a git repo to git-dpm

Hi,

I would like to open a nice thread to discuss the "problem" of packages already managed in git, but not with git-dpm.

To start the discussion, I'll describe how I did things and what I did to "convert" a repository.

My usual way to use a repository is doing things like:
gbp import-orig (when a new version comes out)
gbp buildpackage -S [-us -uc | -kdebian] to get a source package
and use quilt to manage my (rare) patches.

Here is what I came up with for the transition:
(1) copied patches elsewhere (/tmp/somewhere/, say)
(2) git rm -r debian/patches && git commit -m "Remove old patch management"
(3) git-dpm init ../foo_version.orig.tar.gz (start using git-dpm)
(4) for each patch, use "git-dpm apply-patch"
(5) git-dpm update-patches
after that, git-dpm status seems happy.

I hope this helps,

Snark on #debian-python