Re: Packaging Bokeh

On 2015-09-04 22:44, Diane Trout wrote:
> I've made some limited progress trying to package Bokeh (BSD-3-Clause)

Many thanks for working this!

> I managed to get the version 0.9.1 from pypi installable. (Though since it was
> my own experiments I didn't remove the jquery / bootstrap libraries.)

Fortunately, Debian has now a current jQuery 1, again. And
jQuery 3 in experimental. Thanks to Antonio Terceiro! Bootstrap
is a recent version anyway. So it should be easy to just use
Debians packages.

> The most proper packaging would require grunt to be able to rebuild bokeh.js.
> I was wondering if releasing the pypi version would be good enough. (The
> package does at least contain a non-minimized version of bokeh.js)

I'm not sure about this, but it looks like the Bokeh source is a
huge directory of coffeescript files, while the resulting
bokeh.js is not the source code. So build is: 1. coffee -> js
2. concat all js. Maybe its possible without grunt, just like
Antonio did with jQuery?

> Bokeh's unit tests also appear to depend on blaze, and that looks like that
> has several missing dependencies.

I would just leave out the tests for now. Bokeh is a huge beast
even without them. Let's go step by step.

> Thought It looks like the python-modules team is just
> about to transition to git-dpm.

Yes, that has been decided in Heidelberg, but I'm not sure about
the current state. Who can comment on this?

> Should I go ahead and submit abstract_rendering?

Yes, but please fix the long description. It starts with
"Abstract Rendering takes the opposite approach:" which confused
me :~)

> Should I work on getting
> blaze submitted?

If blaze is only needed for the tests, I suggest to postpone it.
(What is blaze anyway?)

Cheers