Re: Application libraries private, Distutils metadata available for console scripts and introspection

On 2 September 2015 at 21:19, Karsten Hilbert <Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 02, 2015 at 09:06:01PM +1200, Robert Collins wrote:
>
>> > Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:
>>
>> >   According to Robert's earlier message, that means the Distutils
>> >   metadata file needs to be not in the application's private directory,
>> >   but in a directory on the Python module search path. That seems odd to
>> >   me, since this is not amodule import being done.
>>
>> So this is perhaps the disconnect: I did not say the metadata should
>> move: it should be in the private directory - it has to be adjacent to
>> the packages/modules its describing, since if it is present but the
>> package/module is not that is at the very best confusing for tools
>> like pip.
>>
>> That private directory must be on the python search path
>
> Maybe I'm a bit dense but isn't that what OP very much
> DOESN'T want to _happen_ ?

They don't want to have to alter the PYTHONPATH variable as far as I
can tell, but that is only one of a number of mechanisms to get a
directory on the search path.

> Are you, by implication, saying that that's not _possible_ ?

I suspect so.

>> when running the application (or the modules can't be imported).
>
> That reason doesn't hold -- the application can be written to
> (or told to) "know" where to look and manipulate sys.path
> accordingly (regardless of whether that's considered a good
> idea or not).

If sys.path is altered by the application to put the private directory
on the search path, then my assertion (that it needs to be on the
path) would be satisfied, and I'd expect it to work.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins@hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist