Re: [Debian-astro-maintainers] glueviz_0.5.2+dfsg-1_amd64.changes ACCEPTED into unstable

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ole Streicher <olebole@debian.org>
Date: Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 3:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Debian-astro-maintainers] glueviz_0.5.2+dfsg-1_amd64.changes ACCEPTED into unstable
To: Josué Ortega <josueortega@debian.org.gt>, debian-python@lists.debian.org

Hi Josue,

Debian FTP Masters <ftpmaster@ftp-master.debian.org> writes:
> Changes:
>  glueviz (0.5.2+dfsg-1) unstable; urgency=medium
>    * debian/control: Added Conflicts section in order to avoid overwrite
>      files from glue-sprite (Closes: #793931).

One comment on this: I think it is just too simple here to just add a
"Conflicts" here. Did you investigate the other optione?

* Try to convince glue-sprite to change their Python package name. This
could work since their package seem to be used just internally.

* Try to convince glueviz upstream to change their package name (to
glueviz?)

Having two packages with the same name is at least very unfortunate.

Best regards

Ole

Hi Ole,

I based my decision on the section 7.4 of the Debian policy[1],
Ask upstream to change the name of the module seems to me that is not an option since the python module
its named like this and this can break software that already depends on it and is distributed by other source in example
Pypi.

I haven't contact the glue-sprite maintainer, which seems to me a better option, but it will depend on him.

I believe this is a good workaround, not the best of course, but this will avoid the breakage of the other package
meanwhile we found a better solution.

--
Josue Ortega
http://josueortega.org