so you want to migrate DPMT/PAPT to git? look at what pgk-perl did!

no I mean, really, read http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/git.html

* they have a tool that automatically creates (and push) a new package
from CPAN, and sets everything up with the team standards; the same
should happen for python and pypi. and there is tool (dpt) to manage
the other common packaging tasks

* they do not force as default the use of an unnecessarily convoluted
"patch regime" - just stick to the path of least resistance, quilt
unapplied-patches is perfectly usable with git and is a method every
one can use (and should know anyway), without tying the patch to the
SCM tool we are using

* you can choose more complex ways to do things, but not as the
default (because -you know- you want us to buy the story "if we
migrate to git, hordes of contributors will come", then keep the
process as simple as possible, and be flexible to more skilled
maintainers if they want to)

* they have a way to download all the packages and do mass-commit on them

they manage more than 3k packages, their approach works in practice
and scales, do we really need to reinvent the wheel here?

(as I'm quite sure at debconf there will be discussion about it, this
my input on the matter)