Re: Sphinx 1.3 in Debian experimental

Hi Sandro,

On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 14:08:40 -0400, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> that's great news! I just recently (like end of last week) received a
> patch for basemap to address dates in the doc, and it seemed like your
> effort and their were not in sync.

Looking at the patch in #790235, that is a different issue.

It happens because basemap uses |today| in a couple of files, namely:

http://sources.debian.net/src/basemap/1.0.7+dfsg-1/doc/users/index.rst/#L8
http://sources.debian.net/src/basemap/1.0.7+dfsg-1/doc/api/index.rst/#L8

I am not sure if I can change everything in Sphinx for that.
Juan's patches set |today| to a value based on dpkg-parsechangelog output,
but that is obviously unacceptable for upstream Sphinx, and carrying that
as a Debian-specific patch will be an ugly hack.

In your particular case (and probably other ones), I think it'll be much
easier to patch out uses of |today| than to apply Juan's hack.

> Might just be enough to give them a heads up so they dont waste more time
> in fixing docs when a the new release of sphinx will do it once and for all

The patch in Sphinx 1.3 was written by Chris Lamb, who is one of the most
active participants of Debian reproducible builds effort. So I don't think
there can be some issue with synchronization here.

Also, as your example demonstrates, Sphinx 1.3 won't "do it once and for all".

--
Dmitry Shachnev