Re: Handing over python-iplib

On Sunday, June 14, 2015 05:50:13 PM Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Jun 13, 2015, at 07:50 PM, Christoph Haas wrote:
> >I'd like to pass maintenance of the "python-iplib" package to the python
> >module team. Would anyone like to put their name onto it? Otherwise I'd
> >keep my name there as maintainer or uploader. I'd prefer though if the
> >team is the official maintainer.
> >
> >(Reason: currently my todo list is unbearable and although the package
> >is simple I'd like to hand it over. Let me know.)
>
> Hi Christoph,
>
> A few questions: is iplib still used by anything?  Checking PyPI, it seems
> like the last upload was in 2008, and there are no reverse dependencies on
> the package in Debian.  I'll bet upstream doesn't even support Python 3,
> though I haven't tested that.
>
> Is it even worth keeping this package in Debian?

It does look like it supports more IPv4 address formats than ipaddr/ipaddress,
so I'm not 100% sure it should be removed.  It provides some utilities in
/usr/bin that might be used, so the lack of reverse-depends alone isn't really
demonstrative of if it should stay or go.

It does not support python3.

Scott K