Re: Python 2, Python 3, Stretch & Buster

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 02:52:33PM +0200, Enrico Zini wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 11:14:28AM -0400, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
>
> > So, round one of all of this is getting the critical path *under* each
> > of our services ready, so that when we need to migrate, we don't need
> > to scramble.
>
> There is another constraint that I forgot: the production environment is
> Debian Stable, which will soon mean Jessie. If a python2-only module
> gets ported to python3 in jessie+1, to use it for debian.org services
> the python3 version also needs to be maintained in backports.
>
> For example, I am about to add python-git as a dependency to
> nm.debian.org, as I need it to parse the stream of changes that I get
> via the keyring.debian.org git changelog, and python-git is python2-only
> in Jessie[1]. Having python3-git in jessie+1 won't be enough to make
> nm.debian.org deployable with python3: python3-git will also need to be
> in jessie-backports, and with a commitment to keep it up to date with
> security uploads, because I'm going to run it every night to parse git
> logs that are obtained via potentially insecure network connections.
>

> Enrico
>
> [1] I've recently been really sad to figure out that python-git is
>     python2-only, and so is dulwich. As a personal policy, if I start a
>     new python project now I start it with python 3.4. I had to start a
>     new project with python2 because of that, and I felt dirty.

FWIW, Dulwich supports Python3 these days [1]. We haven't actually put out
a release with Python3 support yet, but that should happen shortly -
along with an upload to unstable.

experimental already has a `python3-dulwich` package, built from an
upstream snapshot.

Cheers,

Jelmer

[1] With the exception of `dulwich.web`, the HTTP serverside
implementation.