Re: Attempting to remove python-support?

 ❦ 26 avril 2015 18:26 +0200, Luca Falavigna <dktrkranz@debian.org> :

> now that Jessie has been released, and there's the intention to
> provide more support for Python 3 (e.g. paultag's mail to d-d-a),
> would it be time to start kicking out python-support from Debian as
> well?
>
> According to lintian, there should be about 500 packages still using
> python-support in a way or another, either (build)-depending on it or
> invoking dh_pysupport in debian/rules
>
> I think we reached the point whether lintian won't allow to reduce the
> number of packages considerably (the checks are in place for more than
> one year and a half, IIRC). Would it be better to start filing a MBF
> against the affected packages, so we can focus better on the target?
>
> I'd be available to identify the affected packages and eventually
> filing all the bugs.

I am also in favor of removing python-support. It doesn't have any
obvious bugs but having several helpers is confusing. pybuild + dh
should be used for most packages.
--
When angry, count four; when very angry, swear.