Re: Python 2, Python 3, Stretch & Buster

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 10:55:26AM -0400, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:

> Yep! So, my plan that I outlined on d-d-a was to basically attack that --
> the depends chains -- first. Since we are doing this before strictly
> needed (that is, nearly two cycles out), we can ensure everything is
> working and migrated a cycle before we are forced to.
>
> This gives us a relaxing pace and also lets us target things
> pragmatically. You're right, and I'd be happy to help with backporting
> stuff for services porting to Python 3 as needed, but there's no urgent
> rush to move everything over today.
>
> That's the idea behind porting now, so that everything's totally tight.

I like this plan. I think I've been too acid on this list, and I'm sorry
for that. I got defensive and wanted to set clear boundaries on
expectations of work on my part that I perceived as currently
unreasonable, and I'm afraid of having been a party breaker.

I hope that it will succeed, and I hope that it will be possible to have
a Stretch release goal that says that all python2 modules in the
distribution must have a corresponding python3 version.

Enrico

--
GPG key: 4096R/E7AD5568 2009-05-08 Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.org>