Re: Re: Python 2, Python 3, Stretch & Buster

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 09:58:31PM +0200, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> > Also, if I implement new features I am not necessarily going to test
> > them on python3 unless it somehow happens automatically. Running the
> > test suite twice is not much of an option, though, because it already
> > takes a lot of time to run, and doubling the time it takes just means
> > that code is going to get tested less.
>
> Would it be an option to
>
> - work on the code
> - run the py2 test suite
> - deploy
> - run the py3 test suite
>
> ?

It is an option. I propose another option:

 * I work on the code.
 * I run the py2 test suite.
 * I deploy.
 * /Someone else/ runs the py3 test suite and if needed sends patches.

At least until the py3 version becomes the production version, which may
or may not happen until 2019, or until the python core devs make a
commitment of supporting a python3 release at least as long as they are
supporting python 2.7.

Enrico

--
GPG key: 4096R/E7AD5568 2009-05-08 Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.org>