Re: Python and Debian infrastructure

On Apr 16, 2015, at 02:58 PM, Paul Wise wrote:

>Does anyone know of any other deprecated Python stuff that we should
>move away from?

One of the things I'd like to see happen, probably from the PyPA (Python
Packaging Authority), is some help for determining this via PyPI.  For
example, if you search PyPI for 'oauth', your first hit is a package that has
been abandoned upstream since 2009, and doesn't support OAuth2 or Python 3.
And yet oauthlib is a much better, and actually maintained alternative.

So one of the things PyPI could do is help downstreams understand the
viability of packages that it contains.  A package that hasn't seen an upload
in 6 years is probably a good candidate from removal *everywhere*.

Cheers,
-Barry