Re: PyCon BoF: Stretch goals for cPython, PyPy & CFFI

On 2015-04-14 at 09:22:22 -0400, Thomas Kluyver wrote:
> I'm thinking about scripts that are written and distributed to people
> running on different, unknown, Linux distros. Obviously if you're only
> targeting your own machines, there's no problem. But if you want to write a
> script that will work for arbitrary Linux users, what should you do? I
> imagine it's not yet a safe assumption that python3 is installed
> everywhere, but on the other hand, Ubuntu and Fedora are both looking at
> dropping Python 2, so without some kind of compatibility shim it won't be
> safe to assume there's a python command.

If I was writing something new today I would use python3, put python3 in
the shebang and just say that it needs python3 as a dependency,
and let the users install it from the package manager if they need it.

The only machines I can think of where python3 may not be available
even as a package are old redhat ones where the version of python2
is so ancient that it doesn't have the compatibility features required
to run py2/py3 code anyway.

--
Elena ``of Valhalla''