Re: Debian and .pth files

[Kay Hayen, 2015-03-23]
> However, these .pth files are scanned for, and this code is executed in an
> "exec" from "site.py", needlessly.

.pth files are evil indeed. I didn't want to remove them by default, so
I only described in dh_python2 and 3's manpage how to do it
("*.pth" line in debian/python-foo.pyremove is enough).

> I checked Debian policy, and these are not forbidden, but since they
> increase the cost of nearly every Python program launch , I wonder why that
> would be tolerable, removing the files has no impact.
>
> So I would like Debian Jessie+1 to get rid of these. Do you agree, and how
> to go about such things. I have no clue what to raise bugs against there.

I can change that and remove them in first dh-python's Stretch upload if
there's an agreement to do that. It's easy to detect if given file was
needed (`import foo` after installing package will not work) and easy to
fix (just install into proper location and/or describe namespace in
setup.py)