libraries for processing video

Hello,

Are there any good libraries in Python, that can get packaged for Debian, for processing video?

my requirements are simple: I need to be able to generate
a thumbnail of designated size and also tell what the width and height in pixels of the video; Being able to scale the video would be even better, but optional, I currently use avconv to do this.

Currently I use my Debian packages of ffvideo, but I have found it hasn't been updated upstream since 2013, and it doesn't seem to cope with video from a Canon 5d MkIII camera (I get the error "ffvideo.DecoderError: Video width/height is 0; cannot decode").

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks