Re: Fixing #744145, `pip install --user --upgrade requests` breaks pip

On Feb 25, 2015, at 5:54 PM, Thomas Kluyver <thomas@kluyver.me.uk> wrote:

On 25 February 2015 at 14:40, Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com> wrote:
Having re-read the bug, I don't see how this is anything other
than user error in Debian.

I hope you don't mean that installing any of the packages pip relies on under my home directory is 'user error'. The user shouldn't even need to know which packages those are.

Another potential fix might be to run pip with Python's -s flag [1], so the user site packages directory is not on sys.path. I don't know if that breaks pip installing to that location, though. It needs to be on sys.path when pip runs 'setup.py install', because that may rely on things installed to satisfy setup_requires.

[1] https://docs.python.org/3/using/cmdline.html#cmdoption-s

Thomas

The -s flag would mean that pip would not be able to determine that something was installed already in the ``—user`` directory, because pip inspects the sys.path to determine what is installed already.

---
Donald Stufft