dh_python2 extension rename breaking module loading

Hello,

I'm working on the packaging of the khmer project[0] with the debian-med team[1] and we've run into an odd problem: dh_python2 renames the Python extension shared library from `_khmermodule.so` to a version with a mutliarch triplet: `_khmermodule.x86_64-linux-gnu.so`. This breaks module loading: "ImportError: No module named _khmer".

I've found the '--no-ext-rename' option but I can't seem to figure out how to use it with the debhelper command sequencer + dh_python2 + pybuild setup: http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-med/khmer.git/tree/debian/rules

In the mean time I've worked around this via dh_link[2]. Is there a better way?

Thanks,

[0] http://khmer.readthedocs.org
[1] http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-med/khmer.git
[2] http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-med/khmer.git/tree/debian/khmer.links