Re: Kivy packages at Debian

Hi Thomas,

> Am 25.01.2015 um 15:24 schrieb Thomas Pietrowski:
>> Hello,
>>
>> my name is Thomas-Karl Pietrowski. I'm working for the kivy project on
>> the Ubuntu packages. I found many differences between on my and your
>> packages, which now are also landing in Ubuntu.
>> If you are interested you can take a look at the latest debian/* files
>> at https://github.com/kivy/kivy/tree/pkg-debian-daily .

The kivy package currently in Ubuntu (15.04/vivid) [1] is identical to
the package that we have in Debian [2], and has been kept in sync
since trusty was released, so it looks like it's not a matter of
keeping the Debian and Ubuntu packages in sync (as Bastian seems to be
suggesting), but rather, keeping the Debian/Ubuntu packages in sync
with upstream-provided PPA packages?

I'll make a note to myself to take a closer look at the diff between
the official Debian/Ubuntu packages, and the packaging in the above
github repo (which I presume is being used for a PPA?), but at first
glance there does seem to be major differences that may make syncing
this more trouble than it's worth (e.g. package names; getting them in
sync means adding a mess of breaks+replaces relationships and regular
testing to ensure a smooth upgrade path between Ubuntu<->PPA).
Strictly speaking PPAs aren't officially supported to begin with, so
the easy way out would be to just say that the Ubuntu packages aren't
compatible with upstream-provided PPA packages...

Regards,
Vincent

[1] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kivy
[2] https://packages.qa.debian.org/k/kivy.html