Re: dh-python wheezy backport

On 5 July 2014 02:59, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
FYI, backporting python-django to Wheezy is very strait forward. No
modification is needed. I did it here:

I have found back porting most python packages to Wheezy[1] very easy.

About the only real issue I have had is some packages try to build under Python 2.6 and need Python 2.7 minimum, but don't declare it, so these appear to build ok, but come up with warnings when installing/compiling them.

Squeeze is another story, its Python is too old for a growing number of packages to be worth the effort.

Notes:
[1] Excluding pillow as discussed in other thread, and matplotlib which takes hours to build and then dies with out of disk space errors :-(.

IIRC celery is the only package I have not succeeded in backporting so far.  It also needs python3 packages, this in itself may be non-trivial - too many dependencies.
--
Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au>