Python library style guide: Building and installing debug objects (was: Simplified library style guide based on pybuild)

Barry Warsaw <barry@debian.org> writes:

> https://wiki.debian.org/Python/LibraryStyleGuide
>
> Please take a look, edit as necessary or follow up here for more
> discussion.

I don't see support in there for building and installing debug objects.

Currently we need rules like:

=====
.PHONY: build-python%
build-python%:
	python$*-dbg setup.py build
	python$* setup.py build

.PHONY: override_dh_auto_build
override_dh_auto_build: $(foreach pyversion,${PYTHON_VERSIONS},$(pyversion:%=build-python%))
override_dh_auto_build:
	dh_auto_build

.PHONY: install-python%
install-python%:
	python$*-dbg setup.py install --install-layout=deb \
	    --root=$(CURDIR)/${package_install_root}
	python$* setup.py install --install-layout=deb \
	    --root=$(CURDIR)/${package_install_root}

.PHONY: override_dh_auto_install
override_dh_auto_install: $(foreach pyversion,${PYTHON_VERSIONS},$(pyversion:%=install-python%))
override_dh_auto_install:
	dh_auto_install
=====

(Or maybe I'm wrong, and there's already a better way to specify in
‘debian/rules’ how to build debug objects for Python extension modules
for each runtime system?)

How should the Python library style guide recommend we do this using
“pybuild”?

--
 \     “Welchen Teil von ‘Gestalt’ verstehen Sie nicht?  [What part of |
  `\                ‘gestalt’ don't you understand?]” —Karsten M. Self |