Re: Indeed, python-concurrent.futures is the same

On Jan 26, 2014, at 03:50 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:

>[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Python/TransitionToDHPython2 has:
>"The two traditionally popular Python helpers, python-support and
>python-central have both been deprecated in favor of dh_python2."
>
>So if someone do not agree with this, it should IMO be written
>explicitly in this wiki page that it's actually not OK to convert things
>to dh_python2. Also, probably we should switch everything to pybuild,
>no? (and /me should learn more about it)

I do think we should be switching all team maintained packages to dh_py2 and
finally getting rid of py-support and py-central (!).  For the sake of
consistency, I'd love to see the latter two just disappear completely, but at
least we here can work toward modernizing team packages to the newer helper.

The use of dh_py2 is a nice parallel with dh_py3, which is the only helper for
Python 3.  pybuild doesn't eliminate the use of dh_py2 and dh_py3, it's just
built on top of them and makes supporting bilingual libraries usually really
easy.  I'd personally like to see all of our Py 2/3 compatible libraries use
it if possible.

That having been said, if DPMT is in maintainers, I'd say it's a courtesy but
not requirement to file a bug, and then contact the maintainer about the
proposed packaging changes.  Wait a reasonable amount of time, attach a patch,
and see if you can have a conversation about it.  If DPMT is in uploaders but
not maintainers, then I think the requirement to contact the maintainer is
stronger, but I'm not sure it should be *so* strong as to prevent other team
members from making packaging changes.  Maybe require contact with maintainer,
and a longer waiting period, with a little more deference to the maintainer's
preferences?

In any case, an email to this list saying "I want to change package foo to use
pybuild and dhpy2/3 from python-{support,central}, and here's the patch"
probably wouldn't hurt.

Cheers,
-Barry