Re: piuparts, zope-interface and bug #768286

On Nov 15, 2014, at 07:15 AM, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:

>So, I've run it using the .changes rather then the .deb, I figure
>there's some install problem with the debug symbols having a hard dep on
>the lib python-zope (= foo) or something, and piuparts appears to only
>complain about the __pycache__, which might be a real bug, not sure.

So, there's actually a bit of a problem, which you can see if you dpkg-deb -R
the resulting .deb files.

dpkg-maintscript-helper(1) describes the magical goop you're supposed to add
to your preinst, postinst, prerm, and postrm to make the switch from symlink
to directory work correctly, e.g.

if dpkg-maintscript-helper supports symlink_to_dir; then
    dpkg-maintscript-helper \
        symlink_to_dir \
        /usr/share/doc/python3-zope.interface-dbg \
        python3-zope.interface-dbg \
        4.1.1-3~ \
        -- "$@"
fi

It also says suggests that:

       When  using  a  packaging  helper, please check if it has native dpkg-
       maintscript-helper integration, which might make your life easier. See
       for example dh_installdeb(1).

dh_installdeb is getting called, albeit with --buildsystem=pybuild, so I'd
think that it *should* be possible to just add the magic bits to
python{,3}-zope.interface-dbg.maintscript and have them automatically inserted
into the proper maintainer scripts.

This doesn't happen, so I'm guessing that pybuild or dh_python* doesn't have
whatever native support is necessary.  With no maintscripts, I do however see
the dhpython added bits to call py{,3}compile.

I got rid of the *.maintscript files and put the dpkg-maintscript-helper code
in the appropriate postinst, preinst, postrm,and prerm files, making sure to
include a #DEBHELPER# token.  Now when I build the package, I get the
dpkg-maintscript-helper bits but not the dhpython bits (i.e. no call to
pycompile).

I'm not sure if this stuff is intended to work well together and I'm doing
something stupid, or if this is a corner case that isn't covered by the Python
helpers yet.

Cheers,
-Barry