Re: policy for source package names

On Tuesday, August 05, 2014 11:54:37 Ben Finney wrote:
> Vincent Cheng <vcheng@debian.org> writes:
> > […] just don't pick a source package name that's already taken, and
> > pick one that is relevant to your package […]
>
> I further advise: Try to avoid names which are too broad (e.g.
> “coverage” for a Python-specific code coverage package), or names which
> can easily be anticipated to conflict in future.
>
> These are both judgements you'll need to make on expertise and a
> perspective beyond only Python and Debian; they are (and IMO should)
> based not in fixed rules, but principles.

True.

One other consideration ...

In cases where the upstream name doesn't match the policy name for the binary,
I tend to use the upstream name for the source package.  As an example, For
PyQt5 (upstream name whose module name is PyQt5), I used pyqt5 for the source
and the primary binary is python3-pyqt5.

Scott K