Re: Help needed to test packages with Django 1.7

Hi,

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014, Brian May wrote:
> Attempt to summarize the problem: You want to make sure Django 1.7 is never
> installed if there are any apps with Django south migrations that haven't
> been run, and if Django 1.7 is installed you want to make sure django-south
> is not in INSTALLED_APPS.
>
> Think of the situation where somebody does an "apt-get dist-upgrade", and
> upgrades the packages containing the migrations and Django at the same time.

Multiple points:

- we should package South 1.0, it uses "south_migrations" instead of
  "migrations" if it exists, that way applications can provide migrations
  for South and for Django 1.7

- the settings needs to include South only in Django < 1.7, you can do
  this for example:

  import django
  if django.VERSION < (1, 7):
      INSTALLED_APPS += ('south',)

- still this doesn't solve the problem you mention, how can we ensure that
  all deployed Django apps have all their South migrations applied prior
  to switch to Django 1.7. This is only a problem if there are actual
  schema changes managed by South between the wheezy and squeeze version
  of the affected packages. There are only a handful reverse depends of
  South:
python-django-voting,python-django-south
0.1 in wheezy, 0.2 in jessie
python-django-threadedcomments,python-django-south
0.5.3 in wheezy, 0.9.0 in jessie
lava-server,python-django-south 0.7.3
=> only in sid, not a problem
python-django-sitetree,python-django-south 0.7.1
=> only in jessie/sid, not a problem
python-django-reversion,python-django-south
=> 1.6 in wheezy, 1.8 in jessie/sid
python-django-picklefield,python-django-south
=> 0.2.1 in wheezy, 0.3.1 in sid
python-django-oauth-plus,python-django-south 0.7.5
=> only in sid, not a problem
bcfg2-web,python-django-south 0.7.5
1.2.2 in wheezy, 1.3.4 in jessie

At the very least, we should document this in debian/NEWS in
python-django.

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Discover the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/