Re: python-relatorio: where to put the test suite?

On Jul 09, 2014, at 12:55 PM, Mathias Behrle wrote:

>relatorio has a test suite containing some images, documents and templates,
>which according to FHS should belong under /usr/share.
>
>Short question:
>
>- does this justify a common package, from which linking to the
>python2 and python3 package
>
>- or is it just preferable to move the tests to docs (on dh_install)
>
>- or is there a better solution, which I am currently not aware of?

Generally, I try to maintain whatever structure upstream has.  E.g. if the
tests are shipped as a subpackage of the main package, I generally avoid
splitting those up.  E.g. if you have python{,3}-foo providing the foo
package, and upstream ships foo/tests/*.py, I just leave them like that.
Sometimes they contain test data, but I won't move them elsewhere.

For various specific reasons, I'll sometimes split the tests out, but it's
usually more effort than it's worth IMO.  It can make more sense though if the
tests are not shipped as a subpackage of the main package.

If you do split things up, you might want to add DEP-8 tests to make sure once
installed, everything works the way it should.

Cheers,
-Barry