Re: wheel support for Debian?

On May 15, 2014, at 11:38 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:

>Shouldn't it be singular?  Each package provides a wheel, not several wheels
>(and I'd name the location the same for consistency).

I thought about this.  True, in all current cases there's a single wheel file
in the binary package.  I wanted to leave open the possibility that a binary
package could contain multiple wheels, but I agree that's a weak argument
given the scope we're trying to limit here.

Two mild reasons I went with plurals in the package name: I think the
directory where these get laid down on the file system *should* be plural,
since it *will* hold multiple wheels, and I wanted the binary package name to
reflect that.

Also, since we now have python-wheel and python3-wheel packages, which contain
the PyPI wheel package, I thought it was confusing to name the built-wheel
packages with the same suffix.  E.g. python-wheel and python-urllib3-wheel
would by naming appear to have a relationship that they actually don't have.
It seemed clearer that the latter would be called python-urllib3-wheels.

It's bikeshedding, but anyway that was my rationale for choosing the names I
did.

Cheers,
-Barry