Re: sponsorship request

On 05/06/2014 01:57 AM, Christophe Siraut wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I worked on the following bugs and need a quality review:
>
>  - #705275 ITA: python-django-contact-form -- extensible contact-form
>    application for Django
>  - #686171 python-django-piston: Django 1.4 compatibility [RC]
>
> You can check them out on the team repository, see [1]. Comments are welcome,
> note I have not much experience in packaging.
>
> Is someone willing to upload these to the archive when ready?
>
> Thank you,
> Christophe
>
>   1. svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/python-modules/packages/python-django-contact-form
>      svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/python-modules/packages/python-django-piston

Hi Christophe,

A few remarks on the python-django-piston package.

1/ debian/control

The package build-depends on python (>= 2.4). It's been a long long time
since we don't have such old python version in Debian, so the >= 2.4
part isn't needed. Instead, you should build-depend on python-all (that
is, all version of Python 2.x available, which means 2.7 for when
building in Sid / Testing, and 2.6 + 2.7 in Wheezy if someone writes a
backport).

Same remark for python-setuptools (>= 0.6.10). Even squeeze has
python-setuptools 0.6.14, so no need to version-depends on it.

Same remark also for the binary Depends: of python-django-piston. But
this time, if dh_python2 (see below) automatically adds the dependencies
by replacing ${python:Depends}, then probably you can completely remove
the manual dependencies (this will have to be checked after a build, for
example using "mc" to see the content of the .deb, and going into the
DEBIAN folder).

The package is build-depend-indep on python-support. This is now
deprecated, and we are trying to completely get rid of it. Please read this:

https://wiki.debian.org/Python/TransitionToDHPython2

and follow the steps to transition to dh_python2 / dh_python3.

Please bump Standards-Version: to 3.9.5.

2/ debian/copyright

It's not mandatory, but it'd be nice to convert your copyright file into
the parseable format 1.0 as per the specs here:
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/

there's loads of examples in the archive that will show you how to do it
(take any of the OpenStack team packages for example).

3/ debian/source.lintian-overrides

I don't see why there's such overrides. IMO, the issue should be fixed
rather than overriden. What's weird is that there's "svn-upgrade"
defined in the debian/watch as repack script, but I couldn't find it in
the SVN repository. Please address this issue and make a working repack
script to clean the upstream tarball of useless hg files.

There's maybe other problems, but I've stopped my review here.

If you modify this package, I'll have a look again. I never review 2
packages at once, because it's often the case that the sponsoree does
the same mistakes on both, so I'll have a look on the 2nd one only if
the first one is cleaned and I have uploaded it.

I hope this helps,
thanks for contributing to Debian,
Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)