Re: Bug #732703 and fixing ensurepip/pyvenv

On May 6, 2014, at 6:28 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry@debian.org> wrote:

> PEP 427 does discourage direct import from wheels[1] but for the things we
> care about immediately, the two conditions should not affect us (i.e. no C
> extensions, and no bad use of __file__) so I think we could get away with it.
> I'm open to other good arguments for or against using the wheels directly.

For what it’s worth, I’m the one who pushed hard against ZipImport capabilities
being codified in PEP427 and I can say that we are *incredibly* unlikely to
remove that ability without introducing a better way of achieving that. So even
if the current method breaks, there is almost certainly going to be a path forward.

Donald Stufft