Re: Advice on packaging of Lunatic Python

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the feedback.

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 05:58:47PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:

> Adding a Conflicts: on 2 packages offering completely different things
> and which are not directly related is a bug. You shouldn't do that. What
> you should do is solve the problem.
>
> Now, solving that problem might not be easy. The first thing that comes
> to mind is talk to upstream of your python module, and ask him to rename
> to avoid the conflict. If that's not possible, then you will have to do
> this yourself, with patches. But then the issue will be that users of
> your package will have broken imports (eg: the "import lua" will only
> import the *other* module). So it will be problematic. I'm not sure
> what's the solution in this case. Sometimes, there's unfortunately no
> good solution.

I will contact both upstreams.  The python-lua package in Debian right
now is only about a year and a half old and has a popcon of 17.  The
lunatic-python package has been around since 2005.

In the meantime, I will start by renaming the lunatic-python binary
module to lunatic to get the packaging part done.  But I will wait to
upload until the situation is resolved.

Regards,

-Roberto

--