Re: Python 3.4 and ensurepip (rehashed, long)

On Mar 21, 2014, at 3:24 PM, Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, March 19, 2014 17:40:51 Barry Warsaw wrote:
>> Signed by barry@warsaw.us.	Show Details
>> TL;DR: Let's re-enable the ensurepip module in Python 3.4, and possibly
>>   address some usability issues.  We should descend en masse on Montreal
>> and stage a revolt at Pycon. :)
>>
>> Python 3.4 has an `ensurepip` module[1] which implements the specification
>> in PEP 453 regarding the explicit bootstrapping of pip in Python
>> installations[2]. This is promoted as a boon to users, especially on
>> platforms without OS provided package managers, i.e. not Debian.
>>
>> The PEP makes some recommendations for downstreams[3], which we do not
>> currently adopt, and maybe shouldn't fully.  Our current Python 3.4 package
>> disables ensurepip at build time.
>>
>> The previous discussion on this subject[4] was extensive, and it may not be
>> worth rehashing that.  I just reviewed the thread via Gmane, and AFAICT
>> there is some general consensus:
>>
>> * pip should not be used to install packages "globally", i.e. in the system
>>  Python's dist-packages.
>
> Until installing in the user's space is the default,

I’m ok (as a pip maintainer) with that happening in concept. There’s stuff that
needs to be done and figured out related to how it’ll work in practice, backwards
compatibility, consistency (especially with Windows which we unfortunately do
have to care about).

> I don't see it as being
> suitable for installation by default.  I liked Piotr's idea about an option
> along the lines of -i-know-if-a-break-it-i-keep-both-halves to override that.
>
> Scott K

Donald Stufft