Re: Trim out Ubuntu entries in d/changelog?

On 12/08/2013 03:04 AM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> I've been working with gtimelog's upstream maintainer Marius, and with the
> permission of the old gtimelog Debian maintainers, have added it to PAPT.
> Please note that gtimelog was removed from Debian a while ago, but remained in
> Ubuntu, and now the plan is to add the latest upstream version back to
> Debian.  I've put myself as Maintainer and PAPT as uploaders.
>
> Here's my question though: the d/changelog in PAPT svn has a bunch of entries
> from the times it was updated in Ubuntu ahead of Debian.  There's useful
> information in there, but I'm wondering if I should trim d/changelog to just
> the changes that occurred in Debian.  E.g. dropping everything between
> 0.0+svn88-3 (last squeeze version) to 0.9.1-1 which will be the new upload.
> OTOH, I suppose it doesn't hurt that much to keep all the Ubuntu changelog
> entries in the file.
>
> Anybody have strong opinions either way?
>
> -Barry

My take on this is that what you are writing is a debian/changelog,
meaning that what you care here, is to have a log file of what is
changing in Debian. I mean, you don't care Ubuntu, Mint, or whatever,
you really want to document what has happened in Debian, and have your
debian/changelog match the revisions that can be seen in the PTS.

If there are changes that have happened in Ubuntu, then it's a very good
idea to list them in your debian/changelog if you import these changes.
However, I would consider bad practice if this means putting them in
changelog entries for versions which never were in Debian. So you
shouldn't just copy some entries for revisions that have never been in
Debian (because that will not reflect the reality of the package), but
probably put them all in a single changelog entry.

In this specific case, I would suggest that you write something like this:

* Reintroduce the package after it was removed from Debian.
* Import Ubuntu changes which happened there when the package was removed:
  - Whatever ...
  - Whatever ...

What I wrote as "Whatever" can be an exact copy of what you have found
in the Ubuntu debian/changelog file, and you can even reference dates
and Ubuntu package release numbers if you like. So, something like:

  - [release 1.2.3-4, 2013-01-02] Whatever ...

Of course, the above is what *I* would do, and there's no Debian policy
regarding this. Though I think it does make sense.

Your thoughts?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)