Re: Simplified library style guide based on pybuild

[Steve Langasek, 2013-11-11]
> A few questions:
>
>   (On PYBUILD_NAME)
>   Here, we're telling it that the name is foo. This should match the source
>   package name, so for example, in enum34, you'd see: [...]
>
> If it's supposed to match the source package name, why does it need to be
> specified at all?  Shouldn't the debhelper-based build system figure that
> out on its own?  (Ignoring for the moment pybuilder's rather non-dh use of
> environment variables generally)

it should match module name, not source package name (which doesn't
match module name in most cases). PYBUILD_NAME is optional, if you don't
set it (or PYBUILD_DESTDIR*) debhelper's destdir will be used
(debian/package-name if there's only one binary package or debian/tmp if
there's more), which requires setting non-trivial regular expressions in
.instal files if you provide -dbg packages

>    dh $@ --with python2,python3 --buildsystem=pybuild
>
> Why does the build system need to be specified explicitly?  Debhelper build
> systems are meant to use the check_auto_buildable method to declare whether
> they should or should not be used.  Why can pybuild not autodetect?

it does support autodetect. The "problem" is python_distutils or cmake
build systems support it too. pybuild is a complete rewrite of
python_distutils, but in case of cmake build plugin: it's just a wrapper
around dh_auto_* commands (which loops over supported Python versions
and sets PYTHON_EXECUTABLE, PYTHON_INCLUDE_DIR, etc.)