Re: PEP 453 affects Debian packaging of Python packages

On 2013-09-20 at 15:44:05 -0700, Thomas Kluyver wrote:
> Elena:
> > there is an UpstreamGuide_ on the wiki:
>
> So promote it! I'm pretty sure I've never seen that URL before.

that's exactly what I was doing :)

there *is* a problem with the way debian documentation has
naturally grown to a point where it is hard to find what
somebody needs. I believe some people are working on solving
it, I admit I wouldn't know where to start so I'm not helping
(and I just use google and word-of-mouth).

> > ITP bugs aren't cruft, they are a way to prevent duplication of work,
> > which would lead to even more frustration.
> That seems like an unlikely problem in real world cases - how often will
> two people decide to package the same, currently unpackaged, piece of
> software, within the couple of days or so before the first one publishes
> their work.

Sometimes packaging some software requires more than a couple
of days, expecially when it requires packaging of multiple
dependencies, or when it is expecially tricky (the latter shouldn't
happen with most python modules, but mostly with other languages,
however).

The chance that two people could decide to package the same software
in a couple of weeks or even a month aren't so low.

--
Elena ``of Valhalla''