Re: PEP 453 affects Debian packaging of Python packages

On Sep 18, 2013, at 09:36 AM, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:

>  1) pip isn't for global package management, for this is stupid. If we
>     disabled root use of pip, I think we'd all be a bit happier.
>
>  4) Python modules from dpkg are borderline useless for developers. We
>     package modules so that apps can use them, not so that people can
>     develop with them.

I haven't read the whole thread or PEP yet (I'll catch up when I'm a little
less tired), but I think these are the most relevant observations.

pip, when teamed with virtualenv, is wonderful for development, and works
fantastically well on Debian today.

pip for global package management (i.e. "root use of pip") on Debian is a
terrible idea.

It *might* be moderately less terrible if it installed packages in a location
not conflicting with the system package manager, and if you had to explicitly
enable it in some way.  No, I have not thought out all the ramifications of
this top-of-head idea.

-Barry