Re: dh-python in unstable

On Aug 02, 2013, at 03:15 PM, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:

>dh-python is already in unstable \o/

Yay!  And thanks!

>To build/install python3-foo or pypy-foo binary packages,
>you can use this in debian/rules:
>
>	%:
>		dh $@ --with python2,python3,pypy --buildsystem=pybuild
>
>or if you don't want to play with .install files:
>
>	export PYBUILD_DESTDIR_python2=debian/python-foo/
>	export PYBUILD_DESTDIR_python2-dbg=debian/python-foo-dbg/
>	export PYBUILD_DESTDIR_python3=debian/python3-foo/
>	export PYBUILD_DESTDIR_python3-dbg=debian/python3-foo-dbg/
>	export PYBUILD_DESTDIR_pypy=debian/pypy-foo/

I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to calculate default values for all of
these.  E.g. if you had:

export PYBUILD_NAME=foo

I think the rest could be pretty much figured out, at least for the common
cases.  Is that worth it?

>	%:
>		dh $@ --with python2,python3,pypy --buildsystem=pybuild
>
>See pybuild(1) and dh_pypy(1) for more info.

So we'll finally be able to simplify the recommendations in the style guide to
not have to add all those overrides?  That would be really fantastic.

(I'm going to try to convert some of my packages over to pybuild and see how
it goes.)

-Barry