Re: pybuild - one to rule^W build them all

[Scott Kitterman, 2013-01-20]
> "Piotr Ożarowski" <piotr@debian.org> wrote:
> >[Yaroslav Halchenko, 2013-01-20]
> >> wouldn't it make more sense to ship it in a separate package since it
> >is
> >> relevant not only for python3?  then it would also make possible to
> >> provide backport packages
> >
> >yes, it makes sense. We already talked about it on IRC (to move
> >pybuild, py{3}{clean,compile}, dh_python{2,3} and debpython to a new
> >source package and make it work also with pypy).
>
> What about just extending python{,3}-defaults to support pypy and not
> reorganizing everything again?

pybuild is only in experimental for now and I will not do anything that
will require changes in Build-Depends of dh_python* based packages

f.e. like this:
 * debpython-runtime: Depends: python3-minimal
 * debpython: Depends: debpython-runtime
 * python3 → Depends: debpython

where debpython-runtime contains pycompile, pyclean and needed parts of
debpython library. debpython contains the rest.

Packages using pybuild would have to Depend on debpython and *if* all
packages that use dh_python* will also have debpython in Bild-Depends,
we can drop debpython from python3's Depends

I have two main motivations to move it to an external package:
* common debpython library shared among all scripts (right now
  python-defaults and python3-defaults provide their own forks)
* moving to git. Bazaar can do everything git can, I know, but it's not
  intuitive for me, I'm a git addict, I admit it

(and there are other advantages of the split, of course)