Best practices for data files in /usr/share

Hello.

I'm packaging a new version of python-babel and as it now builds 2.x and
3.x packages I decided to move the locale data into /usr/share and package
it separately. Currently the data is installed using 'package_data'
setup() argument and accessed via os.path.dirname(__file__). I've added
some mv calls into rules and patched the code to look in /usr/share
instead, but now the tests cannot be run as they execute the same code and
so cannot find data files in the source directory.

So, what are the best practices for moving data files out of the module
directories?

--
WBR, wRAR