Re: suffix for packages with (optional?) Python extensions

Barry Warsaw <barry@python.org> writes:

> On Jul 12, 2012, at 09:00 PM, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> >I use -ext (python-sqlalchemy-ext) but now I see that there are also
> >-accel (python-reportlab-accel) and -lib (python-guppy-lib)
>
> I suppose I have a mild preference for the -ext shade of bikeshed.

Python terminology for these is already “extension”, so that lends
weight to the ‘-ext’ suffix.

‘-lib’ is confusing because a ‘python-foo’ package is generally a
library (of Python code) anyway. The packages under discussion here are
distinct from normal Python libraries.

‘-accel’ is specific to only one kind of extension (those that are for
the purpose of increasing speed), and doesn't describe all Python
extensions (e.g. those that, regardless of speed, are for the purpose of
interfacing with non-Python code).

So I think ‘-ext’ is the current winner on the basis of existing
terminology.

--
 \       “As the most participatory form of mass speech yet developed, |
  `\    the Internet deserves the highest protection from governmental |