Re: RFS: python3-dateutil

Thanks Jakub and Geoffroy,

(below, Done = changes committed to SVN. I'll reupload to mentors shortly)

On 24 March 2012 10:59, Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org> wrote:
> Please merge the two changelog entries.

Done. I thought I should bump the number if I'd published the package
anywhere, evidently I was wrong about that.

> "debhelper (>= 8)" instead of "debhelper (>= 8.0.0)" would be more friendly
> to backporters.

Done. Note this is what the file created by dh_make has (although that
could have been updated in a newer version than I have).

> Please add Vcs-* fields (and remove the commented-out ones, sigh...).

Done.

> s/monday/Monday/ in the package description.

Done.

> Lintian emits:
> P: python3-dateutil source: unversioned-copyright-format-uri
> http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5

Done. Again, dh_make.

> The stand-alone license paragraph in the copyright file is not properly
> formatted. The same rules as for the long description in debian/control are
> used for this field. Please see Policy §5.6.13 for details.

I've added an extra space before the numbered section so it won't be
word-wrapped. Is there another problem?

> What is the license of zoneinfo-2011d.tar.gz ?

The packaging deletes it, so I'd assumed it doesn't need license
information. Upstream doesn't mention anything specific, and looking
at python-dateutil, there's no license information for it there
either.

> Please honour DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=nocheck.
> Please run tests for all supported Python 3 versions, not only for the
> default one.

Done.

> The watch file doesn't work:

Done (Copied from python-dateutil)

> test.py adds “build/lib.<platform>-<version>” to sys.path, but with Python
> 3.2 build directory for architecture-independent packages is simply
> “build/lib”[0].

Patched, will forward upstream.

> The NEWS file says that “There's no such thing as a "PSF License".”, but
> there
> is still “license = "PSF License"” in setup.py.

Will check with upstream. The LICENSE file is BSD.

> The README file is out of date:
> - The examples use syntax that is no longer valid in Python 3.
> - “python-dateutil-1.0.tar.bz2” and “python-dateutil-1.0-1.noarch.rpm” are
> mentioned in the Download section.

Patched, will forward upstream.

> Has the Use-C-locale-when-calling-date patch been forwarded upstream?

No - it was made in python-dateutil and apparently not forwarded.
Upstream's version is cross-platform (Windows has a date command), so
I guess it's not something the whole package would want.

> dateutil.zoneinfo.gettz() always returns None. Is that how it's supposed to
> work?

I think this is a consequence of our removing the zoneinfo data file.
It should probably be patched to use a system copy, but
python-dateutil seems to live without that functionality.

Geoff:
> You don't install any of upstream documentations. Why?
> You could add a debian/python3-dateutil.docs file containing NEWS and README to
> have these files installed in /usr/share/doc/python3-dateutil.
> Refer to dh_installdocs(1) for further informations.
> Same for example.py that you could ship with the package using
> dh_installexamples if it's relevant for users to have this file (I haven't
> checked myself).

Thanks, I didn't know how to do that. I've added docs and examples to
the package.

Best wishes,
Thomas