Re: RFC: Adding discussion about required versions to Python policy

On Saturday, March 17, 2012 07:18:59 PM Jakub Wilk wrote:
> >The most common exception to this is architecture independent Python 3
> >modules with no version specific code.  Since, unlike in Python,
> >version specific directories are not needed for Python 3, there is no
> >need to constrain their minimum Python 3 version to the supported
> >versions. For these packages, `X-Python3-Version' can only be omitted
> >if the package supports python3 >= 3.1.3-13 and later (python3 3.0 was
> >never a "supported" Python 3 version in Debian).
>
> I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

Upon reflection, this could be better stated something like this:

"The generated minumum dependency may be different than the lowest version
currently supported.  In such cases, X-Python-Version must still be specified
if the generated dependency is not sufficient."

To give a specific example, even though python3.2 is the only supported
python3, for an arch all module, dh_python3 will generate a dependency of
python3 >= 3.1.3-13.  If the upstream code requires 3.2, then you still need
to specify (in this example) X-Python3-Version.

Clearer?

Scott K