Re: Solving the multiarch triplet once and for all

On Dec 13, 2012, at 11:34 AM, Jakub Wilk wrote:

>How about undoing the Python multi-arch mess until someone provides evidence
>that the changes solve more problems than they create?

I don't have a good sense of the types or an overview of the scope of the
problems that are being encountered.

Because the Debian changes are in experimental, maybe we haven't gotten enough
use of the multiarch-aware versions yet.  The changes *are* in Ubuntu 13.04,
and here's my best guess at a search:

http://tinyurl.com/bv6s8jm

We're probably not being very good about tagging. :/

I don't know the best way to search bts, but if I use bugs-search.d.o and use
the phrase "python multiarch" I get no hits.  Searching the python2.7 and
python3.3 pages don't yield anything obvious to me.

>(I'd like to note that the changes were never discussed on debian-python@,
>which is in violation of tech-ctte resolution.)

It would be great if there were a page linked off of
http://wiki.debian.org/Python describing the changes needed to adapt to
multiarch.

Yes, I'm in reactive mode here, but what I'm trying to do is provide a
principled way of exposing the useful data to other Python code, so folks
don't have to invent 100 different ways of deducing the multiarch paths.  That
way leads to madness.

If the sys.implementation._architecture and sys._architecture are acceptable
*and* sufficient, then I'm happy to document and promote it on the wiki.

Matthias, can you provide more information?

Cheers,
-Barry