Re: Revisiting team joining procedures

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 08:04:11PM +0100, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> I'm afraid that this creates false impression that we'd accept
> anyone, without any questions asked. This is not the case. As a DPMT
> admin I required that the applicant:
> 1) either had existing Python-related packages in the archive;
> 2) or shown me his existing Python-related packaging work (e.g. by
> uploading stuff to mentors.d.n);
> 3) or was a DD;
> 4) or was advocated by a DD team member.

As far as I understand your question it is about lowering or heightening
the entering barrier.  I'm a friend of low barriers for newcomers and I
explicitely invite newcomers and try to train them (see for instance
MoM[1].)  The only sanity check I try to approach is that I ask people
for their reasons to join to make sure that we do not add anybody to the
project in question who did not really understand the goals and just has
a good feeling by beeing a member of just another project.  I'm also
considering cleaning up the list of people who never did a single commit
for years (I just did not yet because it simply costs time to do this.)

The only reason for heightening the barrier in my opinion would be that
you realise that to much of the team members time is drained to welcome
and teach newcomers (yes, MoM etc. costs time.)  I have no idea whether
you are in this situation.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/MoM