Re: PyCon 2013 -- tentative title/abstract/outline -- feedback plz

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for the feedback -- valid concerns and besides first 3 points
indeed you give the answers I am usually give people:  that is why we
provide NeuroDebian VM which is used by quite a few users who either
have admin access on their boxes or just pursuade IT personnel to do
just 1 custom installation for them -- VirtualBox  ;-)  As for
chroot'ing -- it is underused/under-marketed solution IMHO ATM although
I have been using it myself quite a bit and even at times advocating it
as a workaround for some deployment problems [1].  Also I haven't
played with fakechroot yet, which if possible to perfect, could serve as
an ultimate resolution for people without admin access.

As for the developers/production: first indeed VM still might be a
better choice, second -- we still provide all the Pythonic tools for
virtualization/isolation, and after all I decided to position the
talk more toward users so I hope not to fall into this debate ;)

[1] http://neuro.debian.net/blog/2011/2011-12-12_schroot_fslview.html

> PS: by the way, would anyone know of a way to use chroot or something
> similar to allow any user to have any number of virtual environments
> that use apt-get to install stuff and fall-back to the system if
> something is not installed in the virtualenv ?

what is your use case?  chrootting does allow 'arbitrary' number of
virtual environments but I am not sure what kind of fall-back you need.
Usually I used chroots in the opposite way, but supplementing main
system with tools ran in chroots (see [1] above ;) )

Cheers

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Postdoctoral Fellow,   Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences