Re: PyCon 2013 -- tentative title/abstract/outline -- feedback plz

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 08:51:37AM -0400, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> not a single comment... bad... I guess I need to work on the text
> more if even hardcore Debian people do not feel 'moved' ;-)

Well, i'll give my 2c as a pythonista and a Debian-folk

> On Wed, 26 Sep 2012, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
>
> > To not be too ambitious and to not invest too much time I have decided to
> > submit only a talk.  Here follows a perspective title, abstract and some
> > notes/outline which will not be a part of submission.  I would really
> > appreciate (and of cause would acknowledge in the slides) any feedback, ideas,
> > comments, etc.
>
> > [originally in emacs org-mode]
>
> > * Title
>
> > Debian -- (rich) Python distribution for the bare metal
>
> > Alternatives:
> >  The universal Python distribution or build your own stack
> >  Debian & Python -- a happy couple with a character
> >  Propelling Python to the masses with the universal OS
>
> > * Abstract
>
> > Through the years Python community strives to distill the ultimate
> > Python distribution utilities.  Meanwhile, to overcome the problems of
> > the core Python and 3rd party FOSS Python projects distribution,
> > various free and commercial distribution bundles of Python appeared.
> > They made Python, as an environment with a pre-selected set of Python
> > modules, conveniently available (primarily) on proprietary systems.
> > What is rarely known is that for decades Python has been a part of the
> > largest in the world software distribution platform: Debian project
> > delivers a complete operating system with thousands of FOSS projects
> > making them available on 11 hardware architectures and 3 different
> > kernels (Linux, HURD, kFreeBSD).  In the Linux world, Debian is known
> > as the most popular base distribution due its openness, ease of use,
> > versatility, and stability.  By delivering a well integrated and
> > tested versatile OS, with a plethora of core libraries necessary for
> > nearly any field of endeavor, it became an ideal base for the
> > **complete** Python distribution.  Majority of Python projects are
> > either already packaged for Debian or provide 1-2 lines instructions
> > on how to install necessary dependencies and build/install the product
> > on Debian-based systems.  Recent advances in hardware virtualization
> > support followed in tandem with the explosion of cloud solutions, made
> > Debian systems popular not only among Linux "fan-boys" but for
> > various, especially scientific and community-driven, deployments. The
> > ease with which thousands of Python-based FOSS became installable and
> > maintainable made Debian the Python distribution with "**all**
> > batteries included".
>
> > In this talk I would like to briefly present the history of Python in
> > Debian (which can be traced to nineties with Python 1.4) and outline
> > benefits Debian provides for Python users and developers, keeping in
> > mind upcoming stable Debian release (wheezy).  To familiarize
> > listeners with Python-in-Debian ecosystem I will then overview core
> > package naming, versioning, and modularization conventions in Debian,

I can see this becoming a flamefest.

Most "hardcore" pythonistas (and the types to be at PyCon) refuse to
allow apt to install libs globally, and use virtualenv(wrapper) to
isolate deps for a few reasons -- the big ones being:

 - more "up to date"
 - isolates dependency hell

which (frankly) apt-get / Debian stable can't really address. Sometimes
Python packages in sid are out of date as well.

People don't care about API stability or anything like that, so I think
you might have to try to frame this in a way that doesn't provoke a
virtualenv-vs-apt battle -- because, frankly, neither side will win and
it'll just become a bit murky.

I'd be happy to help you prepare / do more interactive work with folks
at PyCon (I should likely be there) :)