Re: Availability of Numpy, WX, Matplotlib and Scipy under Python3

On 3 September 2012 21:27, Thomas Kluyver <thomas@kluyver.me.uk> wrote:
> Hi Nigel,
>
> On 3 September 2012 14:57, Nigel Sedgwick <ncs@camalg.co.uk> wrote:
>> The application makes heavy use of numpy and wx and will soon make heavy
>> use of scipy, matplotlib and various other python libraries that are
>> widely used.
>
> Python 3 versions of numpy and scipy are already in wheezy. wx and
> matplotlib haven't yet released Python 3 compatible versions, and
> Wheezy is frozen now, so they've missed that boat. If you need to use
> those packages for a substantial application in the near future,
> sticking with Python 2 for now is your safest bet. If you use Python
> 2.6 or 2.7 with modern idioms, it should be relatively easy to port
> code later when all the libraries are ready.
>
> As far as I understand Debian, none of those python3- packages will be
> added to Squeeze. The idea of a stable release is that the only
> updates it gets are bugfixes and security.

One more thing.... there is debian-backports =)

http://backports-master.debian.org/

You may want to request a backport from folks who do those, and maybe
(dependencies permitting) they can make a python3 backport of scipy /
numpy for current stable release squeeze.

> Looking further ahead: matplotlib is aiming to release a Python 3
> version in October. wxPython has a development version working on
> Python 3, but I don't see any indication of how soon a release is
> planned. Other GUI toolkits (Qt, GTK) already support Python 3, if
> they are an option for you.
>
> Best wishes,
> Thomas

Regards,