Re: Current versions of Python on Debian Stable

FWIW -- if you don't find a cleaner way -- you could also
bootstrap entire wheezy/sid in a chroot, install whatever you need to
use there and then just provide a convenience wrapper
/usr/local/bin/python2.7 in your stable installation which would invoke
python2.7 from within the chroot.

for a related example see
http://neuro.debian.net/blog/2011/2011-12-12_schroot_fslview.html

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Postdoctoral Fellow,   Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences