Re: Future of python2.6 in Debian

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 06:43:23PM -0500, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Jan 04, 2012, at 01:58 PM, Luca Falavigna wrote:
> >After switching python-defaults to python2.7, I'm not sure we discussed
> >whether to keep python2.6 for Wheezy or not.  In theory, we should be able to
> >get rid of python2.6 in time for the release (I'd likely be able to act as a
> >driver for the task, as I did for python2.4 and python2.5 tear-down).
> >
> >What do you think?
>
> +1.  Time to retire Python 2.6.  From Bernd's reply it sounds like the Zope
> upgrade needn't block this.

please DON'T!

I am a heavy Zope user, and, as others stated already, the Debian
packages for Zope are useless. Sorry to say it that way, but that's what
it is. This has nothing to do with the way the Zope packagers in Debian
work, just with a gross mismatch of release cycles.

BUT:

Having a decent Python2.6 plus assorted packages makes it SO MUCH EASIER
to run Zope on top of Debian, and it actually sets itself apart from the
other platforms with the ease and safety with which you can do this,
currently making Debian one of the, or *the*, most preferrable platform
to deploy Zope.

Also, while the latest version of Plone, probably the most prominent
user of Zope, is said to be compatible with Python2.7, it's still in
beta, and migrating a Plone site from one version of Plone to the next
is all but an easy task if you have any non-standard products in your
site (basically, all of us have). Think Firefox and its add-ons, if you
have no other comparison. For that reason, many Plone users run older
versions of Zope, thus requiring older versions of Python as well.

Kicking Python2.6 out of Debian would mean that not only the Zope stuff,
but also the Python core would need to be installed from source code as
well, which makes at least me feel much less comfortable, as I eg. trust
Debian security much more than I trust upstream to not just ignore
Python2.6, thus creating (hard to meet) pressure to move to Python2.7.

The problem is imho exacerbated by the fact that there is currently no
backport of Python2.7 for Squeeze.

I don't know how hard it is to keep Python2.6, but I clearly see a
benefit for users.

So far, my vote goes overwhelmingly to keeping Python2.6 in Debian for
Wheezy (at least).

Kind regards,
--Toni++